Confessions on a Dancefloor


 The desert is my dancefloor 

The wind keeps time 

The grasses bend at the waist 

Creosote shivers in the rhythm 

Even the mountains move 

The sun hangs overhead 

Like a mirror ball 

Throwing pieces of itself 

Across the earth 

At fifty-three 

I close my eyes 

And I am twenty again 

Somewhere in New Orleans 

Music moving through my body

Before I knew what freedom meant 

Dance music saved me 

There were things 

I could only confess 

On a dancefloor 

Here 

I confess them to the wind 

It takes everything 

My grief 

My joy 

My wanting 

The names I no longer need 

And carries it somewhere 

I can not see 

Perhaps they land 

On another planet 

Perhaps they become 

Something alive 

Perhaps there are millions 

Of versions of me 

Dancing somewhere 

In the dark 

Under the suns 

Inside other galaxies 

Still moving 

Still becoming 

The music never stopped 

I only had to learn 

That the whole universe 

Was the club 

And I was already home. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Desert Never Forgets

A Farewell Spell for Marfa

the Rain King