My Smile Will Hide It All (by James Leland Ludeau III from Lafayette,LA)

superhuman strength on the outside
human on the inside
you lit a fire inside of me
that had me extinguished for ages
but i never thought you were the one
never thought we'd last
you were trapped
consumed by a desire to destroy yourself
sold yourself as an intellectual
as a student of the Word
but in the dark you dwelled
the heat between us quickly diminished
turned cold
old
i knew i couldn't save you
from yourself
you can't keep lying to yourself
you played yourself
i loved you
but i had to let go
had to let you go your way
too afraid that i'd be sucked in for good
so don't be surprised when you don't mean dick to me
fuckery
that's what you were
a fuckery
a fucked up mess
spouting words
enticing me
delighting me
until i saw the rot that lay beneath
and now i run as fast as i can
and i learned a long time ago
love is a losing game
so i'll cut my losses
and carry on with my own show
superhuman on the outside
hurting like a mortal on the inside
but my smile will hide it all

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anxiety

She Dreams of the Desert

Took A Greyhound Bus To My Love